Chief Program Officer
The Volunteer & Community Outreach Manager will manage and oversee the agency’s volunteer program and the AmeriCorps program. This position is responsible for the recruitment and screening of program volunteers and interviewing, orientation and evaluation of the agency’s volunteers and recruitment for the agency’s AmeriCorps program. This position is also responsible for cultivating and stewarding non-program partnerships through community outreach activities related to the promotion of volunteer activities including congregations, civic groups, schools. This position supervises the Volunteer Coordinator, an AmeriCorps Member who oversees the data management of volunteer hours, volunteer program reporting and managing in-kind donation drives.
Volunteer Management Responsibilities (45%):
• Manage the agency’s Volunteer Program –
o Coordinate with program managers to cultivate and enrich current volunteer opportunities.
o Oversee volunteer openings and update volunteer portal on agency website as needed.
o Update the online agency orientation module as necessary.
o Provide timely response to volunteer inquiries.
o Review volunteer profiles and match volunteers with appropriate opportunities.
o Screen, check background, interview, and refer to program managers volunteers.
o Conduct volunteer orientation, at least once a month, for program-based volunteers.
o Serve as liaison with the meal providers for the Interim Housing Program, and work with provider and agency staff to resolve any issues that would prevent deliveries of meals.
o Work with the volunteer coordinator to ensure that in-kind donations are properly inventoried and distributed to appropriate program managers/directors.
• Promote volunteer opportunities internally and externally, via volunteer websites, congregation’s bulletins, community bulletin boards etc.
• Coordinate with Development Department for volunteer marketing and communication materials – informational flyers, volunteer brochure, and annual volunteer impact reports.
• Maintain general volunteer communications
o Distribute volunteer informational materials to target groups, community partners and campus resources.
o Write content for the monthly volunteer news promoting and recognizing volunteers/volunteer groups and program needs (e.g., immediate need in-kind donations).
o Recommend relevant content for social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn) including regularly spotlight on the Volunteer Program and on individual volunteers.
• Initiate the annual volunteer satisfaction survey and make suggestions to the Chief Program Officer on changes needed in conjunction with program managers.
• Coordinate the annual Volunteer Recognition Dinner and other volunteer recognition events, i.e. National Volunteer Recognition Week in April.
AmeriCorps Program Management (30%) - AmeriCorps is a federal program operated by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) to create pathways for building a strong community and a lifetime of impact.
• Develop and manage the agency’s AmeriCorps program, including recruitment of members, member training and technical assistance, site supervisor training (as needed), communication with site supervisors, relationships with necessary external entities for the success and improvement of the program.
• Coordinate and update job descriptions of AmeriCorps Members approved in the submitted grant.
• Coordinate the identification of candidates for the program managers via the MyAmeriCorps portal.
• Manage the onboarding process for AmeriCorps members and coordinate orientation schedule with program managers.
• Coordinate with program managers an annual schedule for monthly, intensive skills-based trainings (topics, trainers, etc.) that includes time for critical reflection and evaluation of the topic/facilitator.
• Provide support to program managers to ensure work aligns with AmeriCorps’ member position descriptions.
• Assist with necessary documentation, data collection and reporting for grant compliance.
• Attend required Serve Illinois bi-annual AmeriCorps’ Program Director meetings.
• Participate in monthly Program Director calls.
• Coordinate the planning and implementation of service day opportunities/community-building projects, celebrations, and service recognition events (3x year – MLK day, Veterans’ Day and September 11th).
• Oversee the evaluation process for the agency’s AmeriCorps program.
• Coordinate members annual swearing in day
Community Outreach Responsibilities (15%):
• Organize and participate in community outreach efforts to educate the broader community schools, businesses, community/civic groups, and congregations to cultivate) about Housing Forward, its programs, activities and projects.
• Discern outreach opportunities and help schedule events and/or presentations.
• Attend all agency meetings and other community meetings as assigned.
• Work collaboratively with agency staff.
• Represent the agency in a professional and ethical manner.
• Maintain an active team approach with all staff in all work-related situations and with the staff of other agencies/organizations.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills:
• Excellent communication, both written and oral.
• Excellent engagement skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Strong interpersonal and problem solving skills.
• High energy and passion for volunteerism and the organization’s mission.
• Experience in planning, coordinating and managing multiple projects to achieve desired outcomes and tracking and reporting on progress.
• Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office
• Ability to influence and engage a wide range of individuals and groups to build and sustain relationships.
• Ability to maintain positive relations with clients, volunteers, co-workers, staff from other agencies, agency funders, and the general public.
• Ability to interact effectively with persons of diverse backgrounds and treat each individual with respect and dignity.
• Ability to work with a diverse group of people in a dynamic environment; to work independently without close oversight; and as a team player who will productively engage others within and outside the organization.
• Familiarity with database management platforms
• Strong organizational and time management skills, attention to details
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and have a diplomatic attitude.
• Ability to attend some evening and weekend events.
• Must have smartphone to utilize Agency communication and collaboration tools.
• Must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required with 2-3 years’ experience working with volunteers and success in managing and forging relationships and working with diverse groups of individuals (volunteers, staff, board members and community members, etc.)
Housing Forward is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear, sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, stand, walk, walk up and down stairs and the ability to lift 25 lbs.