The Employment Training Specialist who is responsible for the oversight of day-to-day operations of the Employment Readiness and Career Passport Programs, as well as helping insure growth and sustainability of the programs. The Employment Training Specialist is responsible for the ongoing coordination of job readiness services working with experienced skills-based, volunteers (HR professionals, computer instructors) along with the Housing Forward Job Developer to enhance clients' employability.
The Career Passport Program focuses on individuals in a group setting. The program is primarily targeted towards participants in our Supportive Housing, Outreach and our PADS Shelter Program and is geared towards addressing the specific barriers this targeted population of individuals face in regards to employment.
It is vital that facilitators motivate clients and identify the barriers and issues that could keep them from succeeding in the program and thus self-sufficiency and begin addressing those barriers and issues with our clients.
Career Passport Responsibilities
- Facilitate the Career Passport sessions.
- Work with clients in a group format and on the individual level as warranted to assist them in identifying their employment/career interests, their skills, and how to manage their unique employment challenges.
- Adhere to program curriculum and activities in order to provide discussion questions, instructions, or other helpful information.
- Conduct and or organize outreach activities to identify and encourage the enrollment of clients who could benefit from the intensive employment readiness services of Career Passport.
- Work with Job Developer to strengthen employment placement opportunities for clients
- Supervise scheduling of client appointments for employment counseling and computer training
- Supervise client registration including skills and interest assessments and identifying barriers to employment, including criminal background
- Ensure clients are matched with appropriate Employment Specialist volunteers. To the extent possible, keep each client with the same counselor from week to week.
- Ensure all clients receive computer training necessary to conduct a successful job search, and access to the computer lab.
- Provide direct counseling, as-needed, to ensure appointment coverage
- Maintain a working knowledge of referral sources for housing, vocational and other relevant sources.
- Coordinate with Job Developer and volunteers to ensure clients receive educational/skills training and employment referrals, as appropriate.
- Ensure client data maintained accurately and develop and track outcome measures and provide necessary reporting
- Safeguard client confidentiality
- Supervise and manage volunteers; including scheduling, performance review and recognition
- Insure that intake and progress notes are entered in Sales Force and updated regularly by volunteers
- Facilitate volunteer communication with other departments for co-case management
- Identify volunteer openings and coordinate with Volunteer & Outreach Manager to recruit new volunteers to fill open positions.
- Provide program specific volunteer training, including implementation of policies and procedures and client database system.
- Attend staff meeting as required and other community meetings as assigned.
- Represent the organization professionally at all times.
- Maintain positive relations with clients, volunteers, co-workers, staff from other agencies, agency funders, and the general public.
- Interact effectively with persons of diverse backgrounds and treat each individual with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate team behavior and promote a team-oriented environment.
Professional and program development
- Participate in ongoing development and improvement of all program processes and relationships such as client intake, tracking, referrals, performance tracking.
- Facilitate weekly or bi-monthly staff meetings as needed to review strategic direction, shared progress, KPIs, customer service, partnership achievements, etc.
- Participate in relevant industry seminars, workshops and networking events. Read about industry best practices to help ensure programming is in line with industry standards.
- Participate in outreach in community to engage clients.
- Bachelor degree in adult education, social work, counseling, related field or at least two years of experience working in adult educational settings, such as GED classes or colleges.
- A minimum of one year’s experience working with volunteers
- Experience with career counseling, hiring or HR background preferred
- Ability to problem-solve and make decisions in stressful situations.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of Salesforce system and Windows environment.
- Proficient in Excel and Word.