This position provides rotating support between two of the agency’s programs – Sojourner House and the Emergency Shelter. This position serves as the lead Case Manager providing initial intake, ongoing case management, basic support and ensuring the safety of clients during their stay at Sojourner House. This position will also provide evening coverage, as needed, in the Emergency Shelter.
Essential Job Functions – Sojourner House:
- Receive referrals for Sojourner House from the Program Manager.
- Complete initial intake and necessary documentation for all respite clients.
- Orient new clients to the program and settling them into their unit as needed.
- Assist clients to acclimate and adjust to residing in a congregate setting with independent living units at while fostering a sense of community and cooperation.
- Within 10 days of entry into Sojourner develop individual service plan with participant and review plan quarterly for and adjust accordingly.
- Treat program clients with dignity and respect.
- Provide wellness checks on all residents and address basic needs; for non-respite clients, work with assigned case manager to provide support and assistance.
- Report any maintenance issues to Program Manager.
- Facilitate the transition to the next level of housing and assist with move-out process
- Mitigate and manage any on-site crisis as they arise.
- Report and document all incidents, emergencies, substantial behavioral difficulties, and any intrusions or visits by police, ambulance, or any other outside agencies to the supervisor or on-call manager immediately.
- Be aware of the impact of trauma on participants and prevent and/or respond quickly and compassionately to triggers and post-trauma responses.
- Complete shift reports and logs and contribute to inter-shift debriefings. Review logs and reports for prior shifts.
- Ensure program rules and policies are observed.
- Provide operating support to Program Manager as needed.
- Work in partnership with other staff, AmeriCorps members, interns and staff from other agencies and hospital.
- Maintain certification in CPR, First Aid, Blood borne Pathogens, and CPI (Non-violent Crisis Intervention) according to the schedule of trainings provided by the agency.
Emergency Shelter Responsibilities:
Working in a team, and under the direction of the Sojourner House and Engagement Manager, the Case Manager serves as back-up to the Emergency Shelter Staff. This position strives to build a trusting relationship with Shelter guests in an effort to encourage access to services and housing and reduce the length of stay in the Emergency Shelter.
Essential Job Function:
- Intake, assessment, and referral services to clients in the PADS Emergency Shelter;
- Assist in the facilitation of moving clients beyond shelter services by linking clients to the agency's supportive services and case management team; and
- Provide crisis intervention, advocacy and education on behalf of clients.
- Ensure that client’s basic needs are met while at the shelter
- Follow-up on critical issues in shelter and address behavioral issues in consultation with the program manager and Director of Operations & Client Services
Ideal Qualities & Experiences
- Bachelor degree in social service with a minimum of one-year experience or high school diploma with three years’ experience in social services.
- Good communication, strong interpersonal and listening skills.
- Ability to build and maintain rapport with clients.
- Committed to organizational mission of ending homelessness.
- Upholds organizational values
- Ability to follow policies and procedures
- Timely entry of intake, service transactions, and exit status into HMIS client database
- Ability to write complete case notes
- Strong comfort level with Office 365 Suite – SharePoint, Teams, etc.
Housing Forward is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear, sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, stand, walk, walk up and down stairs, and lift up to 25 lbs.
Hours of Work
Hours of Work
- 37.5 hours/week. Attendance at signature special events is required and may require evening/overnight or weekend work. This position requires the ability to provide own transportation.