The outreach and engagement specialist is responsible for 1) intake, assessment, and referral services to clients in the Emergency Shelter; 2) Assist in the facilitation of moving clients beyond shelter services by linking clients to Housing Forwad basic services and case management team; and 3) provide crisis intervention, advocacy and education on behalf of clients. The outreach and engagement specialist strives to build a trusting relationship with shelter guests in an effort to encourage access to services and housing and reduce the length of stay in the Emergency Shelter.
- Screen for homeless eligibility and complete initial intake for those who use the Emergency Shelter;
- Provide targeted outreach to assigned case load as determined by supervisor by engaging regularly engaging clients.
- Provide referrals to all shelter guests as needed.
- Provide clients with an explanation of services Housing Forward offers.
- Provide clients with public transportation passes to access the Support Center or other social services agencies.
- Document and report any incidents at the Shelter through the after-hours line and Incident Report Form
- Provide on-site support to clients enrolled in the Transitional Shelter in operation June-August.
- Attend and participate in all required meetings (admin and client staffing).
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Ideal Qualities & Experiences
- A minimum of one year experience working in social services or a degree in the service field from an accredited college or university.
- Familiarity with permanent housing options, mental health and substance abuse services, computer skills, and ability to communicate effectively in a diverse environment is a plus.
- Excellent engagement skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of issues related to homelessness and poverty. Strong interpersonal and problem solving skills.