The Outreach and Engagement Specialist is responsible for 1) intake, assessment, and referral services to clients in the Emergency Shelter; 2) Assist in the facilitation of moving clients beyond shelter services by linking clients to Housing Forwad basic services and case management team; and 3) provide crisis intervention, advocacy and education on behalf of clients. The Outreach and Engagement Specialist strives to build a trusting relationship with shelter guests in an effort to encourage access to services and housing and reduce the length of stay in the Emergency Shelter.
Screen for homeless eligibility and complete initial intake for those who use the Emergency Shelter;
- Provide targeted outreach to assigned case load as determined by supervisor by engaging regularly engaging clients.
- Provide referrals to all shelter guests as needed.
- Provide clients with an explanation of services Housing Forward offers.
- Provide clients with public transportation passes to access the Support Center or other social services agencies.
- Document and report any incidents at the Shelter through the after-hours line and Incident Report Form
- Provide on-site support to clients enrolled in the Transitional Shelter in operation June-August.
- Attend and participate in all required meetings (admin and client staffing).
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Ideal Qualities & Experiences
- A minimum of one year experience working in social services or a degree in the service field from an accredited college or university.
- Familiarity with permanent housing options, mental health and substance abuse services, computer skills, and ability to communicate effectively in a diverse environment is a plus.
- Excellent engagement skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of issues related to homelessness and poverty. Strong interpersonal and problem solving skills.