The Employment Counselor works directly with Career Passport clients in all phases of the employment readiness program from outreach to intake to the intensive therapeutic/teaching phase to job search and post hire retention services. The Employment Counselor will also provide employment related assistance to clients on both an individual level and group level as warranted.
Career Passport Duties
- Conduct outreach activities to identify and encourage the enrollment of clients who could benefit from the intensive employment readiness services of Career Passport. Outreach activities may take place in the Shelter, Support Center, and possibly with collateral agencies such as Thrive Counseling Center and HINES VA, etc.
- Facilitate individual and group behavioral intakes with other team members as part of the client admission process into Career Passport.
- Conduct individual assessments with potential participants by collecting their employment and education history.
- Orient clients to the benefits of the Career Passport program, program protocol, and their responsibilities as clients.
- Facilitate the month-long, intensive phase of Career Passport in conjunction with the Supportive Service Staff with a focus on the teaching the employment skill based curriculum.
- Work with the clients in the group format and on the individual level as warranted to assist them in identifying their employment/career interests, their skills, and how to manage their unique employment challenges.
- Develop a trusting relationship with and provide guidance and mentoring to clients during the entire length of the program, especial during the job search phase of the program.
- Working with Job Developer, provide job retention services for participants post hire at 30 day intervals up to 180 days. Services include supportive counseling and coaching around work related issues, reinforcing skills learned in the intensive phase, and providing case management assistance as warranted.
Support Center Duties
- Provide short term employment related assistance for clients who may not need or qualify for Career Passport such as editing their resumes and providing tips on how to conduct a job search. This duty can be conducted on an individual level or in a short term group format.
- Complete all documentation requirements such as assessments, service plans, and case notes in accordance with agency policy.
- Enter client demographics and service information into HMIS (Homeless Management Information System) to assist in the preparation of aggregate data reports and statistics.
- Participate in clinical team meetings for effective client intervention and service planning.
- Participate in administrative meetings by providing updates on program progress and issues.
- Provide crisis intervention when needed.
- Track client and program data and progress using Microsoft Excel
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with staff from various disciplines.
- Commitment to the philosophy of cooperation and continuity across programs and consideration and respect for the dignity of the program participants.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer literate and able to teach basic computer skills.
- Associate’s degree or a high school diploma or equivalent with 1 year of relevant experience (facilitating groups, direct service delivery, etc.).
- Mature character, sound judgment and knowledge of the skills necessary to live independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to connect to this population.
- Comfortable sharing personal stories about overcoming barriers to achieve success.
- Teaching experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in social service related field.
AmeriCorps Program Benefits:
- Living Allowance: $12,530 to be distributed in equal allotments every two weeks within the contract term.
- Education Award: Upon successful completion of the member's term of service, the member will receive an education award from the National Service Trust in the amount of $5,730.
- Health care insurance for the AmeriCorps member
- Child care assistance if applicable.