The second shift staff works directly with homeless men, women and families in Housing Forward PADS’ Emergency Shelters. The position staffs the overnight shift (10:30pm – 5:00am) in the shelters.
- Ensure the safety and security of the shelter clients.
- Monitor the shelter area and restrooms.
- Register late arriving guests.
- Reheat dinners, or prepare sandwiches for late arrivals.
- Manage any situations that may arise overnight. Should a situation occur, complete necessary documentation (i.e. Incident Report).
- Prepare coffee before 5:00am breakfast shift arrives.
- Wake up guests who require an early wake-up call.
- Complete a Shift Log providing a brief summary of the shift.
- Maintain client confidentiality.
- Maintain appropriate boundaries with clients at all times
- Report any safety or client problems to the Shelter Manager.
- Reinforce Emergency Shelter rules.
- Attend training and in-services approved by the Shelter Manager.
- Enter hours on biweekly time sheet and submit to Shelter Manager in a timely manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Ideal Qualities & Experiences
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Some social service and/or security experience preferred
- Candidates must have strong problem solving skills and the ability to respond appropriately in a crisis situation
- Candidate should have a flexible schedule, as the position requires some on-call availability.
- Candidate must be on time for shift to relieve volunteers of their shelter duties.
Hours of Work
10:30pm – 5:00am. The position is part-time and hours are to be determined by Shelter Manager. Position may be on-call when overnight coverage is needed.